The Grounds

Chamberlain Highbury Hall

The south facing grounds of 30 acres associated with Highbury were mainly landscaped by Edward Milner in 1879. He was an Edwardian garden designer of national repute, and he designed a circuit path that ran around the periphery of the estate leading from the drive to points of interest, including a pond and a lake and returning to the pleasure grounds near the mansion.

Immediately in front of the house there was a semi-circular parterre leading from a terrace from which there were distant views over the Worcestershire countryside.

The circuit path enclosed an area of meadow land used for grazing horses and cows that were part of the hobby farm. There was also a kitchen garden and numerous glasshouses ran eastwards from the mansion and provided show houses for orchids and other exotic plants. The glasshouse were partly demolished in 1922 and finally in 1940.

The Chamberlains made many additions to the grounds several of which could be reached from the circuit path and included a Dutch garden, an Italian garden and a rock garden. Important architectural features in the grounds include two lookouts, terracotta balustrades and a pergola, remnants of a fountain and the footprints of an ornamental dairy and hobby farm. In 1921 15 acres of the grounds became a public park together with land formerly part of Uffculme.

The grounds are included at Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England and Wales.